American Gamedog Kennels

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > APBT History Discussion > Out Crossing

AGK
Site Owner

OUT CROSSING

If a dog does not have any dog appearing more than once in his pedigree, and is bred to a bitch who also doesn’t have any dog appearing more than once in her pedigree, and neither one share a common ancestor within four to five generations, then this is called and out cross. (For instance; let’s say you have a dog from B. Sorrells’ breeding, another of Watchdog Thor breeding, and another from a Jeep/ Tramp Red Boy cross. At some point you bred the three lines together and then crossed the result into a Kingfish bred dog. Genetically, you still will have a pit bull terrier, but will be considered a scatter bred one). I’ll say five generations, because there are 62 dogs that appear in a five generation pedigree, and if an outstanding dog appears only once, or twice, in five generations, then this dog’s influence on the ensuing litter will have virtually no effect. Besides, every American Pit Bull Terrier is related in one form or another, it’s just a matter of tracing back far enough to find that concatenate. Most of our game bred dogs can be traced back to Tudor’s Dibo (pronounced Die-Bo) or to John P. Colby, who imported most of these dogs from the original stock in Ireland. Out crossing should be called ‘the good, the bad, and the ugly’ of breeding, because it can be broken into three resulting factors: The good: Many top breeders are now amalgamating bloodlines, by simply breeding their best male to their best female, with little regard to pedigrees. This often results in dynamic match dogs. In most cases the sire is either an inbred or line bred dog from one strain and is bred to an inbred or line bred bitch from another. I believe they were making these types of breeding to maintain or increase a certain aspect they were missing. For example, if I were breeding a line of dogs noted for their gameness and crossed it with another line also noted for their gameness, but from a different bloodline, the progeny should still be game. I shouldn’t expect to lose any gameness, nor should I expect to gain anything such as mouth. Conversely, if I was to take this same game bred line and cross it with a line noted for having a great mouth, but lacking in gameness, it may very well, have increased my lines mouth. But, I’ve also taken a step backwards, because I’ve lost some of the gameness I worked so hard to develop. Therefore, one must be very selective when making an out cross. John P. Colby made just one out cross in his many years with these dogs and his line of dogs still remain, almost 100 years later. Out crossing is an excellent remedy for filial degeneration. Once you’ve noticed the commencement of filial degeneration you should make an out cross to a line noted for the same qualities that you are breeding, from a different bloodline, and revitalize your line. This is known as HYBRID VIGOR, once this is accomplished, you can begin your breeding program again. The bad: These dynamic match dogs, that are the results of out crosses, usually are fortuity, flukes if you may. Fortunately for these outstanding dogs their genes fell into place that made them good match dogs. How can one tell if this dog is a fluke or not? Research. Find out what the sire and dam has produced, outside of him, and check out the littermates, were they just as good as this one? Or just average or worse. The ugly: Of these out crossed match dogs, 99% of then will produce nothing but moderately average descendants. As I said earlier, there are over one hundred and thirty Grand Champions presently registered in the “Sporting Dog Journal”, of those one hundred and thirty, only ten of them are on the ROM list. To go a step further, of those ten, four of them are out crosses. I can not emphasize the point that you are breeding to the entire ancestry of a dog, not just the great sire or dam. These out crosses contain so many different genes in their make up, it is virtually impossible to distinguish which characteristics will be transmitted to the offspring. I find the best way to breed to an out crossed dog is to breed it to an inbred dog. Most of those four out crossed Grand Champions on the ROM list, were bred to either an inbred or line bred bitch to produce those champions. You may need to breed to numerous, different bloodlines to find out which one “nicks” with it. For instance, below is a pedigree of Ch. Gambler, Gambler is a pit champion as well as a conformation champion. He’s an out cross of two different line bred bloodlines. His sire, Merit’s Bud, is line bred on Bass’ Tramp Red Boy (which is represented as Colby breeding), while his dam, Norrod’s Iron Judy, is line bred on Norrod’s Ch. Iron Spike ROM (which is Corvino breeding). That is, if you believe Tramp Red Boy’s pedigree is as it appears. A lot of old timers believe Tramp Red Boy is actually of Old Family Red Nose blood from the late Bob Hemphill breeding. This may explain why he was red/ red nosed and threw the same red noses and similar characteristics, found in the Old Family Red Nose line of dogs, in his litters. Unlike Colby bred dogs, which are usually white based dogs with various colored patches, similar to Medlin’s Outlaw, Houston’s Ch. Bobo and Coleman’s Turkey. Ch. Gambler should be able to produce game bulldogs, as both lines that he’s bred from are noted for their gameness. He’s been bred to his daughter, bitches bred similarly to Iron Judy, and also to Boudreaux bred bitches. As of yet, he hasn’t produced any outstanding progeny. I believe he would be better off being bred to an inbred Tramp Red Boy bitch, bred like Merit’s Bud, thus making a line breeding. Norrod's CH. GAMBLER Merit’s Bud Mark’s DO MAN Miller’s RED MAN Bass’ TRAMP RED BOY Bass’ CLEO Miller’s HONEY Bass’ TRAMP RED BOY Bass’ CLEO Merit’s SILVER BELLE Marlowe’s CH. BRITCHES Marlowe’s RATTLER Marlowe’s BRANDY GIRL Marlowe’s AMBER Bass’ TRAMP RED BOY Marlowe’s FANNY Norrod’s IRON JUDY Norrod’s CH. IRON BOBCAT Norrod’s Iron Spike ROM Wise’s MAXIMILLIAN Wilder’s MITZIE Norrod’s IRON TAFFY Wise’s MAXIMILLIAN Bentley’s SUSIE Q Norrod’s IRON JOSEY Norrod’s CH. IRON BEAR Norrod’s Iron Spike ROM Norrod’s IRON TAFFY Norrod’s HEMPHILL BABE Norrod’s Iron Spike ROM Norrod’s HEMPHILL Breeding is the simplest of concepts, yet it is the most widely misunderstood. Simply put, all you are doing, by breeding, is producing more dogs than you intend to use as either brood stock or performance dogs. Those that exhibit the qualities that you are looking for remain as part of your breeding program; those that don’t should be culled or sold. Snakeman once told me "every breeding you make should have a purpose". There should be a specific reason as to why you are making this and every breeding. Are you breeding for brood stock or to create performance dogs? Research your line of dogs before you make these breeding so you can have an idea as to what to expect from the ensuing litter. Going into a breeding half knowledge, is going into it half hearted. Research requires talking to other breeders, of the same line(s) that you are interested in, studying pedigrees, and finding out as much information about each and every dog that makes up your dog’s ancestry. Keeping you eyes on match reports is also important, so you can see how and to who are these dogs winning and losing. Be selective, breeding to a Grand Champion’s ‘cur’ brother, because he is closer and his stud fee is less, is no better than breeding to Fido from around the corner. Remember that the low quality animals that appear in a dog’s pedigree also play a role in the pup’s characteristics. This is why it is important to have as few as possible and preferably none at all. My philosophy is quite simple when it comes to breeding. I look at the pedigrees of each, the sire and dam, and go back four generations. As I look at the thirty dogs that make up those four generations, I then begin to search for dogs that I would (and would not) like to have as the result of the breeding. If I can say I wouldn’t mind owning a dog like the sire/ dam, the grandsires/ grand dams, and on down the line then I’d be pleased with the breeding. If after all of this, I come up with more dogs that I wouldn’t care to own, then I wouldn’t make this breeding. This is why I keep repeating the point about a dog’s entire ancestry, as the resulting litters my turn out to be just like that individual you were hoping it would not. Best to best (without regard to pedigrees) is like rolling dice hoping luck will prevail, and as most gamblers will tell you...most of the time it doesn’t. Old timers used to say “don’t breed to the world-beater...breed to the one that created him.” This statement has some validity, if the parents have produced other great performers and comes from a line of great match dogs. Or, was this dog just an exception? Inbreeding is an attempt to reproduce a specific ancestor by capturing and preserving desired genes. The more a desired dog appears and the closer, within a pedigree, the more likely the resulting litter will mirror this individual’s characteristics. In retrospect, you may also be bringing forth his undesirables. Inbreeding also requires more culling than any other breeding method, because of the fact that filial degeneration is prevalent in this type of breeding. Line breeding is an attempt to recreate a specific ancestor. It is also a compromise between inbreeding and out crossing and should be done ‘selectively’. The ancestors that make up a dog’s pedigree should all contain the characteristics you wish to capture. With the large number of genes in a pit bull’s make up, line breeding brings out the desirable traits, as well as the undesirable ones, to a higher degree. Thus, positive results tend to come quicker than any other type of breeding technique and also failure, just as fast. Out crossing can, sometimes, produce great match dogs, but they are a challenge to breed inasmuch as they rarely will reproduce themselves consistently. Not to say an out crossed dog cannot be a good producer or a valuable part of any breeding program, but if you just keep making out crosses indiscriminately you are unlikely to retain any of the traits that made the dog good in the first place. It is interesting to note which dogs carried on the genes of Bullyson, Eli, Jr., Toot, Ch. Homer and other great studs. The out crosses, like Gr. Ch. Art, Ch. Honeybunch, Tombstone, and Gr. Ch. Virgil, these dogs went on to produce the characteristics of those great dogs that sired them.

--

January 3, 2010 at 3:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.