American Gamedog Kennels

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > APBT History Discussion > Breeding the Match Dog Part 2

AGK
Site Owner

THE BROOD BITCH

The brood bitch is probably the most important ingredient in any breeding program, if your aim is to be a successful breeder of game American Pit Bull Terriers. If you have a brood matron that produces consistently good dogs and does so regardless of which stud dog she is bred to. Then you have something every dog man in this game is looking for. It is very rare to see a bitch like this, to own her is even rarer. Now what separates a top brood bitch from every other bitch? First, the basics, a bitch must come into heat (season) on a reasonably regular schedule. She must be physically capable of producing puppies. Possess the motherly instinct to care and nurture for her pups. This is all that is required of a bitch to produce puppies. What makes for a brood bitch is her ability to produce high quality bulldogs. No dog has ever produced high quality bulldogs in every litter. There are usually a few good ones, average ones, and of course you will have some bad ones. With that in mind let’s look at some of these famous producers. We’ll start at the top, with Irish Jerry’s (Crenshaw’s) Ch. Honeybunch ROM, she was a daughter of Walling’s Bullyson out of Carver’s Amber. She, herself, was a talented match dog and producer. There was at least one exceptional dog in each litter she whelped, except the one by Gr. Ch. Zebo ROM, and she was bred to some of the best, and questionable, studs of her time. Her most famous litter came from breeding to a dog that had quit, Finley’s Ch. Bo ROM, this breeding produced Champions Jeep, Holly, Missy, and Charlie. She was also bred to another male that had quit, by the name of Crenshaw’s Ch. Otis ROM, and produced Brabham and Singleton’s Gr. Ch. Snake. All this proves she was a potent brood bitch and was able to dominate the genes of some of the sires to produce high quality progeny. Of course there were some in each litter that didn’t turn out, but that could be expected. Another bitch who was able to produce quality offspring in almost every breeding, and is one of my favorites, was Greenwood’s Ms. Holladay. She whelped only a few litters, that are as follow: when bred to Greenwood’s Oakie, she produced Kuemmerling’s Ch. Freddie (won four and lost two, one to Stepp’s Gr. Ch. Angus), O. Stevens’ Ch. Homer ROM (won four and lost dead game to Ch. Jeep), Greenwood’s Holladay Hannah (who produced Jessup’s three time winner Spitfire) and Greenwood’s Mountain Boy (four time winner). In her second litter, this one sired by Maloney’s Davis, she produced Greenwood’s Black Sabbath (won four and lost dead game to Smith & Walton’s Ch. Bad Billy), Greenwood’s Cobra (she won three), and Greenwood’s Jay Dee (who sired Ch. Nino). She was also bred to Giroux’ Ch. Milou, this litter didn’t have the impact or notoriety of the previous breeding. To my knowledge, I’ve only come across one of those dogs ever being matched, her name was Penny and she was picked up in :31. The following litter, second by Davis, produced several excellent bulldogs, most of which were never matched, but used as brood stock. Of these, there was Greenwood’s Martha White (she was the dam of the three time winner Giroux’ Ch. Booger ROM), Greenwood’s Scarlet (dam of Frank & Al’s Gr. Ch. Booker), and then there was Greenwood’s Delta (dam of Stiltner’s one time winner Laverne). These dogs distinguished themselves, not only by beating and competing against excellent competition and demonstrating that crawling back gameness that is so rarely found, but had the ability to pass these traits on generation after generation. Unfortunately, Ms. Holladay died in a kennel accident with a belly full of pups by Oakie.

This is just one exhibit of the point that there are a lot of bitches who may never receive the notoriety of being a champion, nor the opportunity to be bred to anything outside of her owner’s yard, and still can make ROM status. More recently, Ozzie Stevens’ Ramona was born, raised, and bred on the yard of Ozzie’s, never once leaving and made the ROM list in just one breeding, to Castillo’s (O. Stevens’;) Troll ROM. Troll was never matched, because he had a habit of chewing rocks and lost his teeth at an early age. This litter produced a two-time winner, two champions, and a grand champion. Which tells us very little of pragmatic breeding procedures. We can go to a higher extreme and find that there are even some of these great producing bitches that were ’cold’, for some reason or another, they wouldn’t fight when a dog was put on them, that made the ROM list. Some of these bitches wouldn’t be fed, no less bred, on some dog men’s yards. For instance: C. Hall’s Sugar Red (produced Wardt’s Ch. Thunder), Losco’s Coleen ROM (produced Champions Coco, Crush and Stryker), and then there was Heinzl’s Bambi (she produced Tudor’s Dibo, who is considered to be the greatest dog of all time). Conversely, the greatest match bitch, or should I say match dog, of record is Double Grand Champion Tornado, she won a total of ten contracted matches and never lost. But never produced a champion. All this goes to show that we have no control over a dog’s genes, which are the building blocks to the game dog.

While bitches like Ch. Honeybunch and Ms. Holladay are rare, there are still some bitches out there that can and have produced good bulldogs, maybe not one the level of a Jeep or Homer, but good nonetheless. With the large number of, quality, stud dogs available today, an educated breeder should be able to produce quality pups.

THE STUD DOG

Previously I spoke of the importance of the brood bitch in any breeding program, now I’ll give equal time to the stud. If the brood bitch is the most important factor, then that should mean the stud is the second most important. Reason being, technically a breeder doesn’t have to possess a male on his yard to make a breeding. With the vast number of studs available, that are advertised in almost every dog magazine from “Dog Fancy” to “The Pitbull Gazette” to “The Sporting Dog Journal”, the choices are endless. You have the entire spectrum of bloodlines to choose from: Champion Jeep ROM to Grand Champion Zebo ROM. Every color possible, from blues to red noses. Weights ranging from 25lbs. to 120lbs. So, if you’re looking to breed to it, it is out there, standing at stud. From the ten time winner who defeated no known dog man or dog, to the one time winner who defeated the indomitable grand champion. They’re all there for the mere price of a stud fee.

As with the brood bitch we must ask ourselves, what makes for a good stud? It’s usually one, or a combination of three reasons: 1) he has a great show record, 2) he possesses a great pedigree, or 3) he has the ability to produce great dogs. Breeding because of one or both of the first two can, and usually does, lead to failure. The only reason a breeder should choose a stud dog is because of his ability to produce quality dogs. Pit bull history is loaded with famous performance dogs that produced nothing worthwhile. For instance; Roadblock’s Grand Champion Joey, he is a six time winner. Of those six matches, he defeated two champions and one grand champion, in doing so he received “The Sporting Dog Journal’s Dog of the Year” award for 1992. As of now, he’s produced one champion and he has been bred to some very good bitches. As mentioned earlier, it’s not always the world beater you’d want to breed to. There were, and still are, some excellent stud dogs that may not have the flash of a great record, or may have never been shown, but none the less can produce quality bulldogs. Mayfield’s Yo mama sired four champions and was never matched, his grandson, Hammond’s Rufus sired five champions and he too was never matched. Patrick’s Bull Boy Bob lost three and won one, but still sired winners. Garner’s Frisco, who has thirteen ROM points, has been bashed because of his questionable match record. Not everyone is gong to own a Champion Jeep or a Grand Champion Buck, whom had the world banging on their doors to breed to them. Consider this, how many times had Jeep been bred? He must have been bred to over 100 different bitches; he SHOULD be on top of the ROM list. If I could go back and breed to some of the greats from the ’70’s and ’80’s, I’d breed to dogs like Champion Homer and Grand Champion Art. These dogs had short lived stud careers, one died early and the other was stolen, but was able to produce quality progeny in their few breeding. I often think what the outcome would have been if Grand Champion Art was bred to Champion Honeybunch.

When searching for a stud dog, breed to producers, not performers. I know it’s so tempting to take your best gyp to the twelve time winner, Grand Champion Killer, but by doing so without research is a big gamble. First, find out if Killer has any littermates that have done anything. If not, start looking for another stud. If the answer is ‘yes’, consider this before breeding to him. Find out if his sire is still alive and producing, if so, see if you could breed to him. If you are trying to recreate Killer, your bitch would have to be bred similarly to his dam. More than likely, breeding to Killer’s sire will come at a high price, for he has proven he can produce winners. Lastly, find out what Killer has been bred to that’s been working, and if it’s the same blood as your gyp, then I’d suggest you make the breeding.

There are only two real questions that need to be asked when choosing a stud: “Can I expect to get show dogs off of him?” And, “Would I mind getting a dog that may turn out to be like the parents, grand parents, great grand parents, or even the great, great grand parents?” If the answer is ’yes’, then your search is over.

In closing, decide what it is that you are breeding for, i.e. gameness, mouth, etc. and breed to lines noted for those qualities. Don’t give your dogs’ false attributes, which is a problem for many dog men. Know when your line is losing a certain quality and when it’s time to make an out cross to another line, noted for what you are missing. In other words...do your homework.

--

January 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.