American Gamedog Kennels

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Health, Nutrition & Keeps > THE"'WAR"KEEP

AGK
Site Owner

For 25 years I have been a student of conditioning. I will share only my thoughts on

conditioning.There are many numbers of keeps developed by different fanciers over the years.

Each of these methods has both strong points and weak points. As most of the tried and true

keeps(TRIEDIN THE BOX) will produce very similar results.....within a range of realistic

expectations.A range of improvement on the order of 5 To up to 10% is about all the average

fancier can expect. And, unless a trainer is very observant and given a true understanding of what

he is seeing, the trainer may actually do more harm than good when trying to shape a dog! NO

MATTER WHOSE METHOD YOU MAY USE, IT IS NECESSARY TO UNDERSTAND

THE WHAT'S,WHY'S,AND HOW'S OF GETTING TOP PERFORMANCE FROM YOUR

ANIMAL. Too many times your dog would be better off if you took him directly off the chain

rather than trying to put him through a keep when you don't know what you're really doing!!! If

the dog has been wormed and in perfect health, you can reasonably hope to improve his

performanceby 8 or l0%o, and possibly up to 15% if you put super-maximum effort into your

training program. YOU MUST BE DEDICATED TO REACH THIS LEVEL OF SKILL IN

TRAINING DOGS FOR THE UPPER LEVELS OF COMPETITION!!!To go above a l5Vo

improvement requires years of experience and practically a God-given talent to see more and get

more out of your animal than the majority of fanciers in the game today.Just look back through

the old journals and reports. Look at the records of S.T.P.,REBEL KENNELS,VIETNAM, FAT

BILL, B.WILLIAMS,and the SOSOBOYS....to name a few of the toughest.

It is no accident that these men continue to be "THE MEN" to beat; and their consistency is no

coincidence! Hey, sure they have goods dogs and in somecases,they have dogs that anyone

could win with. But these fellows know how to get the very most out of their dogs, even just

average dogs.THEY SELDOM LOSE ON CONDITIONING.THEIR DOGS SELDOM QUIT.

So let's get on with the basic keep.

DAILY FEED MIXTURE

ONCE PER DAY, FEED 2 BOILED EGG WHITES, 1/2 BOILED EGG YELLOW ,2 CUPs

TURNIP GREENS OR SPINACH, IT CUP FISH PER 20 LBS. OF BODY WEIGHT(TUNA

OR MACKAREL-PACKED IN WATER) (TUNA IS BEST BUT COST MORE).THE REST

oF THE FEED WILL BE DOG FEED(FROM 1 TO 3 CUPS DEPENDING ON WEIGHT).

YOU WIL CONTROL HIS WEIGHT BY THE AMOUNT OF DOG FEEDYOU FEED

WITH THE SUPPLEMENTS.

Make sure you walk your dog 4 days a week for 2-3 miles a day,with a five minute sets on a

treadmill twice a week for 3 weeks for his pre-keep.

For historical purposes only. ROM in no way supports dog, fighting or the cruelty of any animal.

WORK OUT

WEEK 1

Day 1-Walk 2 miles run 20 min. walk 2 mile dragging a 10 lb. weight, walk I

mile cool down.

Day2 -Walk 2 miles run 20 min. walk 1 mile cool down.

Day 3 -SAME AS DAY-2

Day 4 -Restday walk him for 10 minutes at normal work out trip. Do this every

restday.

Day 5 -Day 7-Same as Day 2

WEEK 2

Day l-Restday

Day 2 -Walk 2 miles run 30 minutes walk 1 mile cool down.

Day 3-SameasDay-2

Day 4 -Walk 2 miles run 30 minutes walk I mile dragging10Ib.weight, walk out

5 minutes cool down.

Day 5- Day 6- Day 7 -Same asDay 2

WEEK 3

Dayl-Restday

Day 2 -Walk2 miles run 45 minutes walk 1 mile cool down

Day 3-Day4-SameasDay2

Day 5-Restday

Day 6 -Walk 2 miles run 45 minutes walk I mile dragging 10 lb. weight, walk 10

cool down.

Day7-Same as Day-2

WEEK 4

Day I -Walk 2 miles run 50minutes walk 1 mile cool down.

Day 2 -Walk 2 miles run 55 minutes walk 1 mile cool down.

Day3-Restday

Day 4 -Walk2 miles run I hr. walk 1 mile dragging 10Ib. weight walk 10minute

cool down.

Day 5 -Walk 2 miles nrn thr. walk 1 mile cool down.

Day6 -Same as Day5

DayT-Restday

WEEK 5

Day I -Walk2 miles run l:05 walk I mile cool down.

Day 2 -Same as Day-l

Day3 -walk 2 miles run 1:10 walk I mile dragging 10 lb. weight walk 10minutes

cooldown.

Day4-Restday

For historical purposes only. ROM in no way supports dogfighting or the cruelty of any animal.

Day5 -Walk 2 miles run l:15 walk I mile cool down.

Day 6 -walk 2 miles run 1:20 walk I mile cool down

Day 7 -PEAK DAY **WALK 2 MILES RUN 1:30 WALK I MILE COOLDOWN**

WEEK 6 (SHOW WEEK)

Dayl-Restday

Day 2 -IIAND WALK FIVE MILES ONLY

Day3 -Same asDay 2

Day 4 -HAND WALK 4 MILES ONLY

Day 5 -HAND WALK 3 MILES ONLY

Day 6 -HAND WALK 2 MILES ONLY

DayT-SHOWTIME!!!!

Early A.M.-2 mile walk. Empty out .Weigh the dog. If you are underweight, feed macaroni

equal to the amount you are under plus 4 ounces of additional macaroni and 4 cup greens.If

you are overweight feed 4 cup of greens plus enough macaroni so as to put him 4 ounces over

the contract weight. This should be 12 to 14 hours before show time. Water 4 to 6 ounces (l fl.

oz. water weighs approximately1.1 ounces (in poundsand ounces)).

Early P.M. (6to 8 hours before the show, the dog should be from 2 oz. under to 2 oz. over

weightwise.If youare under, give the dog water equal to the amount that you are under. If you

are over, walk the dog 4 mile for each oz. that you areover. Rest the dog for 4 hours and weigh

again. If still over, walk dog 2 mile to and allow him to empty out. Weigh him again,if he is

still over weight, insert a child size Glycerin suppositoryin his rectum, wait 10 minutes, walk for

10 minutes or until he empties out. REST TINTIL 30 MINUTES BEFORE WEIGH IN. WEIGH

THE DOG AT THIS TIME. If over use another Glycerin suppository, wait 10 minutes, walk 10

minutes. If under weight, givethe dog a drink of water equalin weight to the amount that you

are under. Mix a beef bouillon cube with this water. No more than4 oz. of water.

SHOW TIME!! Your dog should be slightly under the weight (1to 4 oz.) If you have a choice,

wash last. If by some odd chance, youare still overweight, walk him and use another Glycerin

suppository. If more than 4 oz. under, give the dog chicken broth equal to the amount that you

are under. No more than 4 oz. of broth. After weighting if you feel your dog isn't DEAD

GAME, give a Tylenol #3,30 M.G. of Caffeine Sulphate, andI tablespoon of honey and 1

tablespoon of canola oil immediately after weighing. If you feel that your dog is GAME, give

him 30 M.G. of Caffeine Sulphateand I tablespoon of canola oil. If youhave him in really good

shape, he won't needanything.

--

May 20, 2010 at 12:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.